Sunday, May 6, 2007

I just fell down



So I just fell down the stairs outside... it hurt. I think I am very prone to getting injured. Two years ago, I tore a ligament in my ankle, last year I fractured a vertebra in my back, this year I had my appendix taken out... (I guess that's not an injury, but still something that went wrong). Seriously, sometimes I feel like I shouldn't leave my house unless I am covered in bubble wrap.

Usually my injuries are snow related. My dad has even advised me-- "if you see snow falling from the sky- RUN!" This last winter we had quite a bit of snow. On one Sunday, we had to walk a few miles to Mass to avoid driving in the snow. Each step that I took gave me visions of falling. I could close my eyes and feel the pain of breaking my back.

It's funny because as I was walking down the wet steps today, I imagined myself falling... and then I did.

Luckily, today my injuries only include a scrape on the foot, bruise on my back, and a blow to my pride. Andrew (my boyfriend) heard me fall and yelp and came running to my rescue. I greatly appreciate it but I felt like a big baby, because I was just sitting in my fallen place and crying. I wonder when we stop crying after getting hurt? I just can't imagine my mom or dad crying like I did today. But I have to give myself credit, because I've proven to be strong under pain in the past. I think I embraced all of my previously mentioned injuries with humility and strength. I try to offer up all of my pain for different intentions--but when caught off guard, I can't help but shed a tear.

No comments: